Dates: 27 April – 1 May 2023
Duration: 5 Days / 4 Nights
Price: Euro 999 per person
Single Supplement: Euro 60 per person
Terrain: Trail Running
Average daily running distance: 5 to 16km (with elevation from 2500 to 800m)
Longest running distance in a day: 16km
Group size: 2 to 8 participants
TABLE OF CONTENTS
See Additional Information for more details on Payment Procedure and Cancellation Policy.
What Level of Running is this Trip suitable for?
This adventure holiday is open to ages 16 and above of any pace or level of runner who is capable of completing 5 to 16km per day including a couple of hiking or easier running days.
Are there any Alternatives for Non-runners?
Non-runners get a discount of 10%, and can participate in all non-running activities including hiking. They will be given ample advice and suggestions about what to do during the time the group will be running.
You will stay at a local small hotel right in the town center. This is an old house that has been renovated and designed to offer hospitality services, combined with a local – traditional feel. Prices are calculated for people sharing a twin or double room. There is a surcharge for people wishing to stay in a single room.
It is important to note that the itinerary below, and especially the running routes are fully customizable, and dependent on the trail running abilities of the participants. At any time, we can make adjustments, to make sure that everybody has a great time. Finally, some adjustments can be made depending on the exact times of your flights.
DAY 1: ARRIVAL/WELCOME TO ANDROS
We will meet at the Athens International Airport. Once the whole group is together, we’ll start our journey to Andros. We’ll have a 2-hour ferry ride to Andros from the port of Rafina. Later in the evening, after our arrival we’ll have a detailed briefing of the whole holiday, we will go through the logistics, and you will be able to ask any question you might have.
DAY 2: TRAIL RUN TO THE BYZANTINE CASTLE
This is the longest run of the holiday, through the picturesque villages of Lamira and Menites reaching the Byzantine monastery of Panachrantos, and back to the Andros seaside of Paraporti. Along the 16km of this route we will go through a variety of terrains and landscapes, through valleys, and villages ascending towards the monastery sitting at an altitude of 500m. The total elevation of this route is 800m. We’ll be able to enter and visit the monastery built in the 11th century AD, and refill with water from the natural springs flowing there.
DAY 3: THE DIONYSUS TRAIL RUN
This is a shorter trail run of around 5km starting and ending at the village of Lamira visiting the water sources of Menites and the site of what once was the temple of Dionysus. The elevation along this route is around 200m.
DAY 4: HIKING THROUGH THE VALLEYS AND WATERFALLS
This will be a hiking day, to recover from our previous two runs, although the route can be a bit challenging at times. We will go through lush valleys and waterfalls, that are very unusual for Greek islands. This is a 13km route with about 500m of elevation.
DAY 5: FROM ANDROS TOWN TO KORTHI THROUGH THE MEDIEVAL CASTLE AND DEPARTURE
Our final trail run will take us to the medieval castle of Faneromeni (or upper castle). The views along the route and especially from the castle are breathtaking). From the castle we will head to the seaside village of Korthi. This is a 13km route with 600m of elevation. From there we will drive back to Andros town to collect our luggage for the return journey. We will leave Andros town well in time for the ferry that will take us back to Athens, and finally to the Athens International Airport.
What’s Included in the Price?
- Transportation to and from the Athens International Airport to your accommodation on your arrival and departure days
- Ferry tickets
- All transportations mentioned in the itinerary to and from running / hiking locations or other local visits
- Accommodation at a local hotel in a twin or double bedroom
- Daily Breakfast and 1 recovery snack
- Briefing and guidance in the beginning of the holiday and at any time necessary
- Transportation of backpacks, etc if starting and finishing locations are different
- Guide through all the activities described in the itinerary, available 24/7
- Everything that is specified in the itinerary
- Lots of knowledge on local flora, wildlife, food, and culture
- The most breathtaking views
- Positive vibes
- Last but not least, a technical T-SHIRT to remember your Andros adventure by. We will ask you for your size well in advance.
What’s NOT Included in the Price?
- Tickets to museums, art galleries, etc
- Alcoholic beverages
- Lunch and Dinner
- Drinks, bottled water or snacks from beach bars, hotels, etc, unless stated so in the itinerary
- Travel or personal insurance
- Anything that is not specified in the itinerary
What to Bring with You?
- Running backpack with ability to carry water (sometimes referred to as “camel”, “pouch”, “hydration vest”, etc). If you cannot bring one, please let us know so that we can try to arrange something. If you are not sure what to bring, get in touch with us. There is natural water along most of the routes for refills. If not, we’ll talk about the arrangements during the briefing.
- Running shoes. Trail running shoes are great but not completely necessary. Your normal running shoes will be fine, so there’s no need to hurt the bank balance.
- Snacks (if you think you need more). You can always purchase them locally.
- Hydration tablets (electrolytes), energy gels, etc are a good idea.
- You will probably be visiting some local cafes, tavernas and restaurants, so bring whatever non-running clothes you feel most comfortable in.
- Beachwear / towels / Swimming gear if you plan to visit the beach.
- Sunscreen cream. Depending on the needs of your skin, make sure you are protected from the sun.
- If you have no experience in trail running, it is important to understand that the terrain is stony, natural, and rough at some points, so please be aware of the risks involved. If you are not sure of what to expect, please get in touch with us with your questions.